EMV chip technology adds layers of security against fraud and is virtually impossible to duplicate, making an already safe payment system even more secure.
Peace of Mind
- Your MasterCard features the additional security of an embedded microchip (also called an EMV Card or Chip).
- Your chip card comes with proven technology that is already in use around the world. This makes traveling internationally now even easier.
- Show with confidence – at home and abroad – knowing that the chip in your card can help protect you from fraud.
Chip Cards Are Easy To Use
Your MasterCard has chip and magnetic stripe technology. That means that regardless of what type of terminal a merchant has, you’ll be able to use your card anywhere MasterCard is accepted.
- At retailers with chip-enabled terminals
- Insert your card and follow the prompts on the terminal.
- At retailers without chip terminals
- Swipe your card and proceed as you normally would.
- Over the phone or online
- Provide your card information the way you always have when you’re ready to make a purchase.
Pin vs. Signature
Depending on the merchant, you will either be prompted to sign for the transaction or to enter your PIN.
How do I use my chip card at a chip-enabled terminal?
- Step 1
- Insert your card “chip first” into the chip-enabled terminal.
- With chip transactions, your card remains in the terminal throughout your transaction.
- Step 2
- Follow the prompts on the terminal and wait for the transaction to be processed.
- You may be required to enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
- Step 3
- Remove the chip card after the transaction is approved and you are prompted to do so.
- Step 4
- Take your receipt.